- AV over IP is the transmission and distribution of audio, video and other signals over data networks. AV over IP is also commonly known as networked AV.
- AV over IP offers potentially significant benefits for AV system integrators and end users.
- Compared to traditional systems for AV distribution and extension, networked AV systems can be designed with virtually unrestricted scalability and signal routing flexibility, in addition to the convenience and cost efficiency of standard data networks.
- For securing the Networked AV there are encryption technologies for various aspects of AV over IP products and they address multiple components of the AV system design
- AV over IP model calls for an encoder at each source device and a decoder at each destination device.
- AV-over-IP solutions use standards-based packetization for transmitting on IP networks and compatibility with IP switches.
AV has always relied in its fundamentals on IT technology, especially since digital signal management prevailed and the future path is definitely determined by Networked AV aka AV Over IP routing methods.
In the conventional method, audiovisual (AV) signals are forwarded in designated networks, while in Networked AV solutions (also known as AV Over IP) audio and video signals are usually sent through standard IT networks, though often it is still recommended to build a dedicated, purpose-built Ethernet network for video distribution. Devices sending signals are typically called encoders and receivers are called decoders.
There are numerous advantages of Networked AV configurations:
- Asymmetric Crosspoint Setup
The number of input and output ‘ports’ of the virtual matrix environment can be freely configured, so it is possible to create systems which e.g. have a lot of devices on the output side, while only a very few on the input.
- Cost Saving
There is only need for a single cable installation which minimizes costs and reduces the complexity of dedicated cable grids for AV signals. AV signals are basically transferred as data packets, just like other network traffic, without being affected by interference caused by other nearby cables.
By employing quality AV Over IP solutions, companies can save on related infrastructure spending. While traditional AV switches might cost tens of thousands of dollars, the AV-Over-IP solution can be performed using simple Ethernet switches, requiring only a fraction of the cost.
- Longer Available Distances
Compared to circuit-switched AV or HDBaseT connections, Ethernet based networks are more easily expandable and can exceed 100m, with all of the same management tools, permissions for stream access, and security protocols as computer data.